I had a huge opportunity this week. I was asked to speak to members of the OB Shared Governance Committee (basically the hands on policy makers) at a local area hospital. When I prepared for my talk, I planned to just talk about music for all the stages of labor and delivery. After all, I only had 20 minutes and could easily speak on the topic for 20 hours. But I quickly realized after hearing from the postpartum nurses, surgical nurses, educators and lactation consultants in the room that they wanted more information about the applications of music therapy for the whole spectrum of the childbirth experiences. Continue reading
They’re called CMTEs and for many music therapists these letters are the gold standard for continuing education. 100 CMTEs are required to renew board certification status every five years. After re-certifying three times now, I’ll tell you those five years pass too quickly! As a growing field of allied health professionals, music therapists are constantly seeking innovative ways to earn credits while learning about the newest, most effective applications of music therapy.
Now there is a new choice.
For today’s blog in honor of #worlddoulaweek I’d like to share a list of things about me that I feel make me unique as a doula. You know why I became a doula but now it’s time to see how I use my special gifts and talents to provide the highest standard of support for you (my clients) and for all my fellow birth workers reading this who trust me as your mentor.
- I am an excellent listener.
- I am patient.
- I am intuitive.
- I accept your feelings, physical and emotional.
- I support all of your feelings.
- I want the best possible outcome for you and your family.
- I can help you understand your choices.
- I will present you with all the facts and options.
- I can help you weigh the risks and benefits.
- I will not make a choice for you or attempt to sway you with my beliefs.
- I know when to let you be alone so you can do it on your own.
- I can help you understand yourself so you’re more aware.
- I bring out your creative side.
- I love music but know when to enjoy the silence.
- I see you not as mother, father, colleague, or friend but as human.
- I have the highest regard for your life and dignity.
- My continuous support can improve your outcomes.
- I will make every attempt to help you achieve your goals.
- My knowledge as a music therapist can greatly enhance your relationship with music and help you more fully embrace your experience.
- I am professional and trustworthy.
- I am authentic and kind.
- I am here for you.
- I am Kate Taylor.
I went LIVE with Mama Tribe Network on December 3rd! You didn’t miss it did you?
You’re in luck! You can watch it here on YouTube.
MJ from Allthingscrunchy.com and OG Mamacita out of San Diego both said they learned a ton. I had a bunch of fun helping them both understand more about the power of music.
We talked about music for birth, creating playlists, bonding and learning through music. MJ shared some of her own birth experiences and OG Mamacita’s jaw just kept dropping in awe. Really. I could tell she was really digging what we were talking about and was eager to try some of the tips for using music with her whole family! It was a blast mamas. Thanks for adding me to your Tribe.
A special shout out to my friend Tina Carreras owner of VFIT San Diego for hooking us up! Tina has an awesome 10 minute circuit video on YouTube that most busy moms and birth workers (ahem, doulas!) can fit in anywhere, anytime!
So check out the LIVE with Mama Tribe Network show and let me know what you think. Also, make sure you enter our RAFFLE before December 9th for your chance to win a FREE consult with me, Kate Taylor, owner of Creative Childbirth Concepts®. As a music therapist and birth doula, I’d love to help you build a plan for birth or assist you in your birth based business and development needs. Take a chance and enter today.
Join Kate Taylor, experienced birth doula and board certified music therapist as she presents the first ever Creative Childbirth Concepts® intensive workshop in the beautiful downtown Crystal Lake Muse Art studio.
September 1st, 2015 6:30-9:00 p.m.
Open to anyone preparing to give birth, their partners or birth team members. No previous artistic ability is required.
- a visual birth plan
- birth mandala
- meaningful nursery art piece
Experience first hand the relaxation and inspiration of coloring, painting, movement and music during this exciting childbirth workshop. This 2.5 hour workshop will help you to begin exploring new ways of understanding your pregnancy, birth and parenting journey and offer you countless resources for pregnancy, birth and beyond.
- digital references for childbirth basics such as labor positions
- home practice strategies for relaxation
- scripts for imagery & meditation
- tips for shaping your birth environment
- how to design a playlist of music for birth
Many couples have benefited from working directly with Kate Taylor and her unique concepts for bringing creative arts experiences into childbirth education and prep classes. Their stories and testimonials share a glimpse into how meaningful this creative arts workshop will be for you and your birth team. Read their stories at: http://www.birthmusic.net/testimonials.html
This is your chance to work with Kate Taylor in an exciting new creative space and small group setting so that you too can tell your creative childbirth story. There are only 6 spots open for couples wishing to be inspired through creative arts, music for birthing and mentored with expert doula advice. Register today at http://www.birthmusic.net/register-for-classes-or-workshops.html
It’s your Birth. Be Creative.
Cost for couples to attend is $125.00. Contact Kate for individual rates or fees to invite another birth team member like a hired doula to attend. firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit: www.birthmusic.net for more info.